Kaunas University of Technology
The main objective of the work – to comprehensively assess volatile and carbohydrate composition of honey of different botanical origin and its biological activities and to determine if there is a dependence of volatile compounds, sugars and biological activity on the botanical origin of honey.
The following tasks were raised to achieve the aim of the study:
• To determine the composition of volatile compounds and carbohydrates of honey and beebread and to compare it with the composition of honey from other countries.
• To evaluate the changes of volatile compounds during the storage of honey.
• To evaluate the authenticity of honeys in Lithuanian market by their carbohydrate composition.
• To determine the physicochemical properties (electrical conductivity, pH and free acidity) of honey of different floral origin.
• To evaluate the biological activity of honey and beebread in model systems and determine the composition of phenolic fraction, which usually is related to antioxidant and antibacterial properties.
The comprehensive analysis of volatile compounds, content of carbohydrates and physicochemical properties of honey from different botanical origin was performed in this study. The identification of carbohydrates can be used for the evaluation of the authenticity of the local market honeys.
It was found that honey exhibits antibacterial and radical scavenging activity. The information on biological activity of honey may be used in preparation of functional health promoting ingredients and for the control of food spoilage in food processing.