Z. Žemaitis, a mathematician, and J. Vabalas-Gudaitis, a psychologist, together with other intellectuals founded the first centre of studies in Kaunas – the Higher Courses. Among other subdivisions, the Courses included a technical section directed by Engineer J. Šimoliūnas. The Higher Courses enjoyed successful growth and in two years they already had 480 students and 48 teachers.
On February 16, 1922
the Government of Lithuania passed a resolution on establishing a university, the first independent higher education institution in Lithuania. The new university was based on the Higher Courses. The President of Lithuania A. Stulginskis appointed Dr. J. Šimkus as the first Rector of the University. Monsignor J. Mačiulis-Maironis (Faculty of Theology), A. Voldemaras (Faculty of Social Sciences), Z. Žemaitis (Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences), P. Avižonis (Faculty of Medicine), and P. Jodelė (Faculty of Technology) were the deans.
the University was named Vytautas Magnus. The Faculties of Technology, Mathematics, and Natural Sciences trained certified engineers in four areas: civil engineering, mechanics, electrical engineering, and chemical technology. The Faculty of Technology had 17 departments, which employed 40 to 60 researchers and 4 to 6 technical staff members. Technical facilities for studies and research became available when the Physics and Chemistry buildings (1932) and the Mechanical Engineering Laboratory (1937) were completed in Aleksotas. Five doctoral theses were defended in the Faculty of Technology before the World War II. Juozas Indriūnas, the initiator of the textile science in Lithuania, was the first to complete his doctorate studies. During the inter-war period of independence, the University had 148 student organizations engaged with various directions and interests (including ideological societies and corporations affiliated with political parties).
Kaunas University was reorganized into Kaunas Polytechnic Institute (KPI) and Kaunas Medical Institute.
KPI changed its name to Kaunas University of Technology, regained its university status, and embarked on the road of reforms. The current objectives of the Uni¬versity include meeting the requirements of the Magna Charta of European Universities, UNESCO, and the EU regulations and co-ordinating its activities with other European and Lithuanian universities.
the University, in accordance with the Law on Science and Education of the Republic of Lithuania, implemented two-level degree programmes and a new procedure of awarding scientific degrees and pedagogical titles.
a western-style flexible module/credit system has been implemented, which emphasizes the study and research integration, broad-based fundamental education, wide-ranging study programmes, and independent work.
the University joined the Magna Charta of European Universities and became a member of the European University Association and the International Association of Universities.
the University became a member of European Universities Continuing Education Network (EUCEN).
the University became a member of the European Society for Engineering Education (SEFI).
the University became a member of the European Association for University Lifelong Learning (EUCEN).
the University became a member of the Conference of European Schools for Advanced Engineering Education and Research (CESAER).
Kaunas University of Technology Museum ►